Rockin' Face Painter...When it comes to face painting - we rock.

Sprite Love / Kinda "Face Painting" Video (turn volume on)

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Face Painting for a Marine's Welcome Home BBQ

Photobucket

On Friday I donated my face painting services to a "Welcome Home Marines" BBQ for the 2/4 Marine Battalion. It was sponsored and hosted by the San Clemente Chamber of Commerce, and they called me to see if I could help out. You bet! What a worthy cause to provide face painting for the children of these families. But, I think I painted more Marines that kids!! JK.

Photobucket

When I was painting this darling little girl, her dad (a Marine) had to take a cell phone call outside my tent. It was just me and her, no one was in line yet and we were quiet while I was painting her. Then in a tiny, cutest, most angelic voice she simply tells me:

"My daddy is home."

I about lost it when she said that. So to cover up me being choked up, I said in a high pitch voice "I'm soooo glad! Does that make you happy?" She said mmm-hmmm.

Then I went back to finish painting her. Wow.

That made such an impact on me, a realty of how much these military families are making huge sacrifices for all of us and our country. And I imagined how much this little girl had grown up since the last time her daddy saw her so many months ago when he was deployed.

As civilians, we all "know" that they are making sacrifices but until you are up close and personal with the realities it doesn't quite register the magnitude of it.....

Photobucket




Photobucket


This was the area where I was face painting at the Ole Hanson site. Gorgeous view, eh? I love living in San Clemente. We have such a sense of community here.

Thanks to Claudia, Norma and the other lovely ladies at the San Clemente Chamber of Commerce for inviting me to be a part of this special event!

Photobucket



UPDATE:
The next day there was an article in our Sun Post, and the Orange County Register:

Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i Know exactly where that area is. I just moved from San Clemente and we were a Marine Family. I love your blod about the Welcome Home BBQ. We moved back to the Central Valle and I am a face painter myself.

I adore your pictures!